#737 Planer-Surfacer 37"
A precision built machine manufactured from an exacting design utilizing ideas and components to provide the user with a machine to meet the most demanding and varied needs of today's production and vocational woodworking.
Available with the Northfield Helical Carbide Cutterhead
|Nominal Size||37" x 8"---36" x 8" Helical Head|
|Actual Capacity||37" x 8-3/4"---36" x 8-3/4" Helical Head|
|Cylinder||5" cutting circle, 4 knife, high carbon steel, micrometer-type knife raising screws|
|Knife Size||5/32" x 1-1/4" x 37" high speed steel|
|Drive||VEE-belt 3 VX belts|
|Brake||Conveniently located hand brake|
|Motors||Cutterhead---10, 15, 20, 25 or 30 HP totally enclosed fan cooled. Feed---2 HP totally enclosed fan cooled|
|Voltage||208-220/440, 550 volt 60 cycle, 3 phrase std.|
|RPM||VEE-belt---3600 (or customer's specifications)|
|Lower Feed Rolls||4" solid steel, power driven, sealed-for-life bearings|
|Upper Feed Rolls||
INFEED: 4" diameter, 2" milled ductile iron sections, 5/16" section yield, 3/4" roll yield, sealed-for-life ball bearings.
OUTFEED: 4" solid steel, power driven, sealed-for-life ball bearings
|Maximum Stock Width||37"---36" Helical Head|
|Shortest Butted Piece||4"|
|Shortest Single Piece||12"|
|Maximum Stock Thickness||8-3/4"|
|Maximum Depth of Cut||3/8"|
|Adjustment||Single hand lever .001" to .075"|
|Feed Speed||20 to 100 lineal feet per minute (higher or lower available in same ratio)|
|Chipbreaker||Ductile iron, 2" sections, concentric with head|
|Pressure Bar||easily adjustable with micrometer type screws|
|Controls||Double magnetic switch, single pushbutton, reversing switch on feed mechanism|
|Floor Space||69" x 50"|
|Base||Large box-type, three point mounted|
|Net Weight||3300 lbs.*|
|Domestic Shipping Weight||3900 lbs.*|
|Export Shipping Weight||4200 lbs.*|
|Cubic Export Crate Size||175 Cu. Ft.|
* Add 225 lbs. if knife grinder is ordered with machine. Knife grinder must be ordered with Helical Cutterhead option. 15 HP minimum for Helical Head option. Machine requires approximately 1500 CFM airflow for dust collection.
The four knife cutterhead of high carbon steel is 37" long and ha a 5" cutting circle. The 5/32" x 1-1/4" x 37" knives are of high speed steel and can be quickly adjusted with the micrometer type knife raising screws machined integral with the cutterhead. The cutterhead can be quickly stopped with a convenient brake.
1. Sectional Chipbreaker Mounted Concentrically with Head
A sectional chipbreaker of 2" ductile iron sections is concentric with the cutterhead and yields to 3/8". It rises with the sectional infeed roll on heavy cuts and is fully adjustable.
2. Quickly Adjustable pressure Bar
A heavy pressure bar is located directly behind the cutterhead. It is quickly adjustable by means of spring loaded micrometer-type adjusting screws at either end of the bar. If necessary, the pressure bar can be easily removed. Hard chrome plating is available as an option.
3. Sectional Upper Infeed Roll
All four 4" feed rolls are power driven. The upper infeed roll is the sectional type with 2" milled ductile sections. Each section yields 5/16" and the entire roll yields 3/4". All the other feed rolls are solid steel and easily removable. The feed rolls are mounted with sealed-for-life ball bearings. To adjust the machine from rough to smooth stock, a single hand lever quickly adjusts the table power feed rollers from .001 to .075.
4. Top View showing knife grinder with grinding wheel and stem in place. The grinding attachment can be left on the machine during operation with either a gravity type or collection system-type dust hood in place.
6. Positive Cutterhead Grinding indexing plate insures that each knife is ground in proper position.
7. The Northfield #737 Planer-Surfacer is shown here with a dust hood that can be attached to a central dust collection system. Model shown has the knife grinding attachment in place.
|5. As Standard Equipment each machine is equipped with a conveniently placed hand brake. As an optional feature, the machine can be ordered with a limit switch that shuts off power on both the cutter-head and feed motor when the hand brake is applied.|